Vegan baby, toddler, and adult recipes along with lifestyle tips!

Jan 19, 2011

Draining Tofu

Here is a little tip I learned recently in terms of draining tofu. Normally I press it with a paper towel until there is no moisture left, but google recently introduced me to a new method.

Microwaving!

I haven't perfected it, but I wanted to put it out there to see if anyone had any input on it. It was a bit difficult but did work. Basically it heats the tofu up and releases all of the water - which works great if you have something for the water to drain into. I've heard of people using coffee filters but it just seems like there is too much water for that to work. I put the tofu in for 2 minutes, then 30 seconds until most of it was drained. I had to keep pressing it in between because I didn't have a good drainage system set up.

I was also a bit concerned with the microwave taking out any essential nutrients since we tend to avoid cooking in them. Microwaves tend to kill certain vitamins (which is why you shouldn't microwave vegetables). I don't know how that works in terms of tofu, but I'm just putting it out there. 

How do YOU drain your tofu? Press it? Let it sit under a plate? Microwave? 

1 comment:

  1. I get a clean cotton tea towel and wrap it up and squeeze. I felt bad wasting so many paper towels!

    ReplyDelete