Vegan baby, toddler, and adult recipes along with lifestyle tips!

Dec 19, 2010

Banana Bread

Due to having the flu, I had about 4 bananas that were almost ready to be thrown out (among a ton of other food). So what else can you do with almost rotten bananas? Banana bread!! 

(Yes, that is steam still coming off of the bread...mmmmm)

This has to be the best banana bread I've ever made. This loaf lasted not even 4 days. It was extremely moist when first made and was still fairly moist a few days later. 

You'll need
4 bananas
1/3 cup melted Earth Balance butter
1 heaping tablespoon apple sauce
1 cup sugar or agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup flour
1 pinch of salt
1 loaf pan

How to make

Preheat the oven to 350F. Now for this recipe, it works best if you break it down into steps. It mixes up better and seems to cook smoother. Start off with the melted butter and bananas. You can mush the bananas by hand if they are ripe enough. Then add the sugar, apple sauce, and vanilla. When that is all mixed, add the flour and other powdered ingredients. Pour into a buttered loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

When it cooled, I cut it in half and put it into a sealed container to keep some moisture in it. It will probably last a week as long as you wipe out the excess moisture in the container once every day or two.





5 comments:

  1. I just tried this recipe because it looks so incredibly tasty, but it definitely didn't turn out properly!! I did alter the ingredients, so that's definitely why, but I didn't think it would make such a big difference. I used only 3 bananas because they were HUGE. I replaced agave with brown rice syrup, and I realized after that I forgot to include baking soda (it isn't in your step by step instructions). I also used coconut flour.

    Another thing is that I blended the wet ingredients in the blender (including the bananas). When I added the flour, it was super thick, like the consistency of play dough. The dough was so thick that only the outside layer cooked in the oven, and it was super crumbly... it definitely wasn't moist enough. Don't get me wrong, it tastes delicious, but not like bread. Anyway, I'm wondering if you have any idea what went wrong... is there any specific change that you think may have caused it to come out weird? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mar

    I'm sorry it didn't turn out right!!

    It sounds like the issue was probably with the brown rice syrup. If I remember right, it is much thicker than agave. If you try it again using the brown rice syrup, maybe thin it out with some water or soy milk? I have never baked with it but I know a lot of times when you substitute different sugars, you have to adjust the liquid level of what you are cooking and either reduce/increase the cook time. I bet google would be able to tell you how to properly substitute it into a recipe. You might need to actually double the amount of syrup you use? I know agave adds extra liquid to the recipe along with adding an extra 5 minutes to the recipe. I have never used coconut flour either since I am allergic to coconut but I'd assume it would do the same job.

    Baking soda would also help! I will add it to the step by step instructions. It should definitely be in there though :)

    Try it again and let me know if it comes out any better! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your reply!! I was feeling pretty discouraged because your's looks so amazing and mine was virtually inedible! But I won't give up, I'll try again, thanks so much for your reply!! Really good advice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think I could use maple syrup instead of agave?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mar

    You definitely could use maple syrup! Its going to give is a maple taste but it should take care of the sweetness.

    Vegan cooking is not easy at all and I've definitely had to make things a few times before they came out edible! Just keep trying if its something you really want :)

    ReplyDelete